He was born in Athens in 1975 and lived in Sydney, Australia from 1988 to 1992. He studied first Photography at Focus (1993-1996) and then Sculpture at the Athens School of Fine Arts on a scholarship, under George Lappas (2001-2006) and graduated with honours. He teaches in the Painting Department at the Vakalo School. He has presented his work at the Batagianni Gallery (2008 & 2011) and has taken part in many group shows. His works can be found in private collections and at the Benaki Museum, Athens.
- 2011 Batagianni Gallery, Athens, Greece
- 2008 Batagianni Gallery, Athens, Greece
Group Exhibitions (selection)
- 2013 Medium as Narrative, C.A.M.P., Athens, Greece (curated by Lina Tsikouta)
- 2012 The club of the Queer Trades, Batagianni gallery, Athens, Greece (curated by Alexios Papazaxarias)
- 2011 Galerie Utopia\The Forgotten Bar Project.Berlin\Athens.Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.Remap 3, Athens, Greece
- 2009 2nd Biennale of Contemporary Art, Thessaloniki, Greece - parallel programme Personal- Β¬Political (curated by Areti Leopoulou, Thodoris Markoglou)
- 2009 Terra mania, Mavromichali Palace, Limeni Oitilos, Greece (curated by Mariam Tsakirian)
- 2009 Nikos Alexiou the collection, Bazeos tower - Naxos island, Greece
- 2008 Art Athina, Garage Project - Athensville, Athens, Greece (curated by Marina Fokidi)
- 2008 Art Athina, participated with Batagianni gallery, Athens, Greece
- 2007 Contemporary Greek Scene, Art Athina, Helexpo Garage, Athens, Greece (curated by Nadja Argyropoulou)
- 2007 Graduates exhibition, Athens School of Fine Arts 2006, Megaro Mousikis, Eurobank private banking prize (curated by Nelli Missirli)
- 2007 Unfair, Athens Imperial Hotel, participated with Batagianni gallery, Athens, Greece
- 2007 Part Time Punks, DESTE Foundation, Athens, Greece (curated by Lakis & Aris Ionas)
- 2006 2006 Graduates exhibition, Ergostasio, Athens School of Fine Arts, Athens, Greece
- 2005 Group exhibition, KARIDIO Foundation (curated by Aphrodite Litti)
- 2006 First prize, Eurobank top-ranking graduates of the School of Fine Arts (scholarship)
- 2006 Awarded from I.K.Y (Greek State Scholarships Foundation) honors graduate
Darkroom studio manager at Focus, School of Photography
Personal assistant of sculptor George Lappas
- 2007 Member of Nikos Alexiou art team for the Greek participation in Venice Biennale
Teaching art in public primary schools
Teaching in the art workshop at Peristeri’s 1st primary school
- 2011 Teaching in the painting department of art and design college Vakalo
Leonidas Papadopoulos presents a new group of works in continuation of his previous show featuring work with polyester resin as the main material. Point of reference, this time is the hand. White, smooth and strong, part of a figure which does not exist. A familiar hand, the hand of David.
Complete figures with both hands tied together in front, remind us of cycladic idols. Their features are not clear and their texture is coarse like that of a stone or rock, one would find on a Greek island of the Cyclades. The only smooth part of the composition being the water pipes, through which, photographic memories "flow" giving us a sense of inner liquidity within the rigid male and female bodies.
The police caps, as a symbol of force and power, familiar to us from the artist's previous work are present this time too, in pieces, scattered around, as remnants of a decaying, old regime. Like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, these symbols chalenge any paricipant who is willing, to put an order to a world, to a relative system of values, during which time, the air is full of hints about "judgemnt", "trial", together with "power" and "subversion". Alongside the coarsely textured figures-idols, there is a witness stand in miniature. On its usual place, there is the bible and ofcourse, there is the expectation, of the hand that will take the oath on the bible. A hand that could belong to David, to the idols or the viewer himself.